Remember, remember the 5th of November….
It’s Bonfire Night this Saturday! A British tradition dating back to the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 (ok, hands up, yep, I had to Google that date for you).
What I do know for sure is that it’s a time for fireworks, large bonfires, hot chocolates, baked potatoes, toffee apples, sparklers, family fun, cold noses and ooohs and aaahs as crackles fill the night sky this weekend.
Now, I love fireworks and I want to be right underneath the firecrackers as the night sky vibrates colourful hues.
However, the girls aren’t overly keen and find them too loud. And if I’m honest, I too am less keen on all the hanging around in the cold waiting for the entertainment to begin. So we’ve never taken them to an organised display. But they quite like watching them from a distance.
So since they were little I’ve been driving to a spot on top of a hill to overlook our local firework display, flask of hot chocolate and biscuits in hand as we sit in the car and watch from afar. And we never have to miss out on the fun.
Last year I decided to jazz it up a little and created a cosy snug in the boot of the car as we watched the fireworks from the ‘cheap seats’. Happy times. Happy family memories.
Whatever your plans for Guy Fawkes Night, have fun this weekend.
Create your own car boot snug with just a few cheap accessories:
- Stick gold and silver star to paper cups, disposable spoons and your Thermos.
- Make gold and silver star bunting to hang from the boot door. Or better still, I found this star bunting in the party supplies aisle in the supermarket.
- Personalise paper cups with your trusted Sharpie.
- Add some of your favourite sweet treats. I baked some chocolate cupcakes and decorated them with crumbled Flake, topped with orange flavoured buttercream to create these bonfire cupcakes. I also found these mini sparklers in the supermarket to add to our cupcakes.
- Throws, cushions and pillows make for a warm and cosy place to patiently wait for the night sky celebrations to begin.
- Pjs and dressing gowns on.